[wisb] Mequon Nature Preserve

  • From: Barbara Kellermann <kellermannbarbara@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday after I started my walk, Jason Nickels, the manager, said a Hooded
Merganser was in the small pond out front, and was still there at 5:00p.m.
Saw my Great Horned  Owl at the farmhouse as it flew out of a tree 20ft. behind
me and perched in perfect view close by.  Today 6 Wood Ducks at farthest
North point of Paul's Pond  and had a good view from the gravel path.  Saw 3
Fox Sparrows.  Black Backed Gull off of Swan Rd.  So, the Merganser was in the
pond and could see it's right wing was injured and couldn't fly but it was
swimming,diving and there are small fish in there.  It would pump it's chest
and flap it's wings but couldn't fully extend the right.  Called Blue Sky
Animal Rescue,had to contain it first.  The wing looked worse we agreed once
out of the water, so maybe we made it worse as it gave us quite a chase.  All
we could do was pet it on the head and wish it good luck.  I'll call in a
couple of days to find out it's
 fate.
Barb Kellermann,Milwaukee WI