[wisb] McKinley Marina today- California Gull

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:58:39 -0600

I checked the McKinley Marina in Milwaukee twice today. I scoped the gulls from
8-9:00am and could not find the California Gull. Noteworthy gulls were an adult
Great Black-backed, an adult Glaucous, and at least 3 adult Thayer's. The best
view was from the lot that can be reached from the first right turn after the
Veteran's Park Lagoon.

I returned at about 2:30pm today and there were many more gulls than during the
morning (I estimate 2500 compared to 1000 this morning). The best view of the
flock this time was further north from the small store. After about an hour of
scoping and picking every first and second winter gull apart I spotted the
CALIFORNIA GULL bathing in the water just beyond the ice-shelf where all the
gulls were sitting. The overall dark color, heavy streaking, and size and shape
of the bird (long wing projection, obvious round and small head, and slightly
smaller size than a Herring) were the first things I noticed. Steve's
description of the bird was very helpful as well. Additional observations
include a fairly sharp contrast between the white on the forehead through the
belly and the very dark rest of the bird, somewhat of a gray mantle coming in
but still more dark brown than gray on the back, and that the bill was thin in
addition to long and straight. It was pretty active during the half-hour that I
viewed it- it bathed twice and sat on the ice for a brief period (although was
blocked by other gulls during most of this time). In flight the obvious white
rump and black tail were easy to see as well as the jet black primaries- the
black extended through the greater coverts and to the base of the wing. The
paler dark gray window in the inner primaries was noticeable as well. Gulls
started streaming towards the lake to roost shortly before 4pm and the
California followed them just after 4.

Other gulls this afternoon included a 1st winter Lesser Black-backed, a 2nd
winter Glaucous, and a 1st winter Thayer's-- none of which I saw this morning.
There is obviously quite a bit of turnover throughout the day making it a very
fun spot to keep an eye on.

Tom Prestby
Milwaukee