[wisb] Madison Audubon Society Field Trip at the UW Arboretum Saturday Feb. 25 Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:18:31 -0600

I'm sorry this is a day late.

Levi Wood lead a MAS field trip entitled "Winter Birds of the UW Arboretum"
on Saturday morning from 8:00-11:00am.  It was a cool morning but the sun
was shining and the sky was bright blue.  Ten hardy souls turned up for the
walk.  We even had a family from Janesville drive up for the walk.

The highlights of the walk were a Sharp-shinned Hawk flying over Longenecker
Garden and the still present Great Blue Heron down by the Big Spring.  We
were hoping to see the Pileated Woodpecker and the Northern Shrike I had
seen the previous weekend, but try as I might I could not produce them.

Near the end of the walk one of the younger, excellent birders (with great
hearing of which this old guy is very jealous) thought he heard a
Yellow-rumped Warbler.  We looked and looked for it but could not find it.
It's a good possibility that he had heard correctly  since a Yellow-rump had
been seen in the arboretum during the CBC and also in January.

We all felt good about seeing 20 species.

Will the southern winds bring new migrants in today??

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Madison, Dane County