[wisb] MAYCOUNT Burnett County

  • From: "karen skutek" <skuteks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:43:55 -0500

On May 18, we did a Maycount in Burnett County focusing on Crex Meadows and
Fish Lake areas.  We also birded at Spirit Lake, Wood Lake, Norway Point and
along the St. Croix R. near  the Hwy 70 bridge.  We saw a total of 139 species
including:
warblers (19 species)
swallows (5 species)
raptors (11 species)
waterfowl (14 species)
shorebirds (11 species)
sparrows (9 species)
blackbirds (8 species)

We missed a few common species including DC cormorant and whip-poor-will, and
only located the GB heron late in the day.  We expected more shorebirds than we
saw.  All in all it was a good 17 hours of birding.  I believe this is the 28th
year the 3 of us (myself, Tom Engel and Jim Hoefler) have been doing this count.

Stan Skutek
Stevens Point
Portage County