[wisb] Lowly Cowbirds, Polk County

  • From: Jeff Virant <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:18:02 -0600

Hi all,

I just wanted to supply a link to an article in the most recent Nature
Conservancy magazine about the much-maligned cowbird. I found it very
educational from the perspective of habitat preservation to the extent that the
cowbird proliferation seems to reflect habitat destruction. The article makes a
point about the fact that the cowbird is indeed just being a cowbird, no more
and no less, and that human behavior is probably responsible for its
proliferation. My limited resources suggest that the cowbird  is a New World
bird, so that would further support the theory that its proliferation is our
doing. Here's the link: http://magazine.nature.org/features/the-mafia-birds.xml

At any rate, best birding.

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI   (Polk County)