[wisb] Lots of migrants this morning

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 08:41:24 -0500

After seeing what the radars (particularly the ones along the
Mississippi River) looked like last night, I figured things would be
hopping this morning.  Just walking a block and a half to my bus stop, I
could hear lots of Am. Robins, Cedar Waxwings, RC Kinglets and other
calls.  I had a quick glimpse at a medium-sized passerine in silhouette
that was likely a thrush of some kind.

Notable birds in the Upper Midwest the last few days (in addition to our
  Muscoda-area  Spotted Towhee):  Northern Gannet at Whitefish Point in
the U.P. of Michigan (still there yesterday, by the way,) a remarkable
48(!) Swainson's Hawks at the Hitchcock hawk watch in western Iowa
yesterday, 3 "Aububon's" Warblers and a possible Varied Thrush (heard
only) in with hundreds of Robins at DuPage Woods Forest Preserve in
northern Illinois.  With these strong WNW winds, one wonders what else
is out there to be found by a diligent birder?  (Maybe I'll finally get
my #1 "western" nemesis bird, Ferruginous Hawk - they had one last year
around this time at the Illinois Beach SP hawk watch.)

Peter Fissel
Sorry to be stuck at work in
Madison, WI