[wisb] Loon: La Crosse

  • From: Douglas Stratton <stratton.douglas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birding On The Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 14:45:00 -0500

Just saw a loon at water ski beach east of the La Crosse airport.  It was
working the area in front of the docks by the apartments on the east side
of the water. Also a few red br mergansers.   Most of the ice shelf is gone
except for the southern area where there are still a few hundred gulls.
Was able to spot the Lesser black-backed and the Franklin's.  No luck on
the Thayer's but I'm still learning.  There are also a growing number of
gulls and some ducks on Lake Onalaska just north of the spillway.   Also,
earlier, while at the Dresback Dam, I spotted the pair of peregrine falcons
on the nest box that is visible from the Dresbach Dam parking lot.  There
are also decent numbers of waterfowl on Lake Onalaska.
--
Doug Stratton
La Crosse County