[wisb] Long-tailed Ducks

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 7:57:49 -0500

I read Daryl Tessen's report of Long-tailed Ducks at Point Beach, Manitowoc
County with interest.  Daryl reported so many Long-tailed that "the entire
horizon was 'black' with Long-tailed".  What is interesting about this is that,
at least on ebird reports, there has been only one sighting of Long-tailed this
year in Manitowoc County.  That one sighting was of one individual seen by
Charles Sontag on January 30th.  For the Fall 2010 Season, the high count of
Long-tailed was 10 (tallied on two different days in Ozaukee County).  Point
Beach is poorly covered in ebird.  From accounts in past years, it seems Point
Beach is the place to go for Long-tailed.  Sontag, not that many years ago,
reported thousands of them there for the Woodland Dunes CBC.  I have been
concentrating my birding to the southern third of Manitowoc County but I
believe I will be heading to Point Beach later today to see some Long-tailed.
Hopefully Daryl will be giving an estimate of the number of Long-tailed he
found yesterday.  It seems it would be higher than last year's high of 10.
    -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz