[wisb] Long-eared owl - Navarino

  • From: <jmotquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Wisconsin Birding Network' <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:30:30 +0000

The 2012 birding while hunting season closed out yesterday on several high
notes in SHawano County. In addition to getting supper, the birds were just
incredible. I found white-winged crossbills, red crossbills, pine grosbeakes,
and a purple finch in the Gresham area. I had several flocks of pine siskins
and repolls, but was too busy to check for a hoary. I had a GOLDEN EAGLE fly
over northwest of Gresham. The day ended with a calling LONG-EARED OWL in a
cedar swamp in the Wolf River Bottoms south of Navarino.

The owl was on private property and was a hike off the road. I do not believe
the landowner will allow a stream of walkers. I estimate I was about 1/2 to 3/4
mile into the property. It was a hike in knee deep snow without snowshoes.

What a day! What a day!

Jon Motquin
Freedom, Outagamie Co.