[wisb] Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk, Manitowoc County

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 23:24:48 -0500

While driving from St. Nazianz to the City of Manitowoc today I found a
wonderfully colored leucistic Red-tailed Hawk.  The hawk was bright white
except for the red tail and pitch black primaries.  The face was dusky.  I do
not know if I have ever seen a photo of such a hawk with such a dense red tail.

It would be nice to have a photo of this particular bird.  It was seen about
12:30 pm on the north side of County C perched in a woodlot on the north side
of
the road just east from the farm with the fire number 8328.  I forgot to note an
intersection but it was in the stretch between County J and Highway 42.

  -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz