[wisb] LeConte's and Nelson's. Dane county

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 01:27:33 -0500

 I walked some areas for Ammodramus sparrows ,Monday morning.
 I started at Lerner Park ,in Oregon. After walking the good looking easy
stuff, I cut into the taller weeds. After 10 yards a LeConte's sparrow flew up
and went about 30 yards. I waited ,but never saw it again. Weed birds were
25-30 Song ,1 Savannah and 1 LeConte's Sparrows, 1 Sedge and 1 Marsh Wren and 5
Common Yellowthroats.
 I walked another area and saw almost nothing.
 Then I went to Lake Barney. There is not much good habitat, but 1 good spot at
the Sw corner along the lake and on the westside of the fenceline. Don't bother
with the rest inland stuff. There was 1 Nelson's Sparrow along the fence row.
 I park at the gate right across from Caine Road. Walk south and then east
along the fence (this is the easy route) Then cut toward the south end of the
trees along the lake. The good area is along the fence near the lake. We only
saw 1 Nelson's.
6 Greater Yellowlegs were at the edge of the lake.a bunch of Palm and a few
Yellowthroats were also in the weeds.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton ,Dane co.