[wisb] Late update from Oshkosh

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:17:38 -0700 (PDT)

    Hey, everyone !     Sorry it's been too long  to get online due to family
and their desires with the I-net.  So finally I'm here with my latest from
Winnebago Co.
    As I left off from last Friday or so, I ended up breaking my own personal
record in an earth-shattering  manor.  My previous 155 for the month has been
stretched up to 164 !!!   This is the most incredible month of May I've ever
had, and it's still not over.  The last outing I had was Saturday night after
work, got down to my study area, Uihlein Marsh, and gained 4 more species, and
those were, in order of least to best, Virginia Rail, Am. Bittern,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (heard entire 'song'  twice),  and the bird d'resistance,
as many as 6 Barred Owls !!
  So, what does it exactly mean, when you hear a 3-some doing that
wockwockwockwockwhocooksforyou  call?  Is this a territorial thing?  Would like
some response please.  It would be informative.  There was one owl that had an
extended call :
  whocooks(10)foryouallllll.   That is, 'cooks' to the power of ten.

  In other local news, the Bell's Vireo was heard briefly Saturday out at
Asylum Park,  and an FOY  Sanderling was with the turnstomes at the beach, same
day. Just hearing that cuckoo was jawdropping to me.

   My list of uncommons to rare sightings will be posted at the EOM.

    Paul Bruce, Osh.
    Winn. Co.