[wisb] Late Hummingbird: RT vs. BC

  • From: Karen Johnson & Jim Toth <kmjrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

From Kathi Johnson Rock:
Karen Johnson and Jim Toth

Milwaukee (SE)

BayView area

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Late Hummingbird
To: "Karen Johnson & Jim Toth" <kmjrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 1:48 PM

Karen,
If you could post this information to The Wisconsin Birding List so that other
people know too, that would be great.  Thank you.
Kathi

Kathi and Michael Rock
e-mail:  kathijr@xxxxxxxxx
website:  http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/mjrock/web
telephone:  (608) 233-7397

"Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering
fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..."; (J. J. Audubon)

From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Late Hummingbird
To: kmjrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Michael Rock" <mjrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 12:28 PM

Karen and Jim,

We are not members of the Wisconsin Birding List, so we cannot post messages,
hence our private message to you.

We posted the photos on The Hummingbird Forum and a master bander who lives in
Louisiana, Nancy Newfield (she has 30 years of experience banding hummingbirds)
identified your bird as a Ruby-throat.  Here is the link if you'd like to take
a look:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/thread/1256619935/last-1256696560/Late+Hummingbird+in+Franklin,+Wisconsin+(Milwaukee+County)---PHOTO+LINK+IS+WORKING!!

We expect the bird to be leaving shortly, but please keep your feeders up with
fresh nectar (you will not encourage the bird to stay by doing so.)

Thank for all that you are doing to help this late Ruby-throat.

Our last hummingbird was seen on October 13 this year, but our latest last
observed Ruby-throat was October 27 about 5 years ago, so it can happen.

Best Wishes,

Kathi and Michael