[wisb] Langlade Co. spring?

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:16:06 -0500

The Merlins are back in Antigo!! I drove in to town with my window rolled
half down as I have each time it's not been snowing in the last 2 weeks.
Listening. Linstening. Listening. And today - finally! A loud strident high
kee kee kee! A streak with dark wings beating rapidly and powerfully.
Starlings scatter. !!
Redwinged blackbirds have been in evidence for more than a week (they
disappeared for a few days during/after the big snow). Grackles appeared
last Sunday. Sandhills cranes are dribbling in.
Still lots of snow and no flooded fields for waterfowl yet.
But  the Merlins are back. Must be spring.

Nancy Richmond
Polar - Langlade Co.