[wisb] Lake Park yesterday

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:39:52 -0500

Hello, all!
I birded/walked the dog at Lake Park yesterday during the mid-afternoon. I
walked from "magic hedge" near the water treatment plant to the middle of
Bradford Beach.

At the beginning of my walk, I saw the Wild Turkey family across the road
by the ravines. It was fun to see the young turkeys looking for food with
their parents.

The "magic hedge" area was hopping. Although I didn't see anything unusual,
the juvenile birds were entertaining. Here are the species that I saw:

Eastern Phoebes (numerous--many "posing" for photos)
Eastern Bluebirds (adults and at least on juvenile)
Chipping Sparrows (adults and juvies)
American Goldfinches, House Finches
Cedar Waxwings (numerous with several juveniles)
Yellow Warbler pair
Baltimore Oriole--fleeting glance. I could not determine the sex, but it
was a duller orange.
Song Sparrows were all along the lakefront rocks/foliage

1 Semipalmated Plover and 1 Spotted Sandpiper were present just north of
Bradford Beach, but not as far north as North Point.

Off topic--several Monarchs were flying around, too

Lots of fun photos at the link, especially if you like Chipping Sparrows,
phoebes or young birds:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/

Thanks and good birding,

Jennifer Ambrose