[wisb] Re: Lake Park report for 5-16, Milw. Co., 20 warblers

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:43:00 -0500

One RED-HEADED WOODPECKER flew over the path in front of the Wolcott statue
this morning about 7:30.  That's the first I've seen of this species at Lake
Park this spring, and I'm there every other or every third day in the early
morning.  Today I noticed a marked lack of sparrows near the statue, so they
have likely moved on since I was last there before the convention.
The only other birds of note I had in the area were two SANDERLINGS chasing
waves on Bradford Beach, one in breeding and one in non-breeding plumage.
While I was there I also noticed 10-15 birds of the most common warbler
species hiding in the tallest grasses and sneaking out into the wind for
quick breakfast bites on the sand.  This ended quickly as a Coopers Hawk
zoomed in off the lake; I'm sure these little birds learned their lesson to
stay out of the open.

Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI