[wisb] Lake Park Warbler Walk, Milwaukee 9/24

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:09:14 -0500

It was a quiet morning in Lake Park today, with eight birders scouring the
trees and ravines for any signs of movement.  We ended with 26 species,
mostly singletons of each.  Cooper's Hawk and Gray Catbird gave nice shows.
We had only five warblers (including a Black-Throated Blue that I found
before the walk started), but the last was a humdinger: a Connecticut
Warbler moved in and out of the brush of the Lighthouse Ravine, allowing
everyone to get a look at it.  Three different Eastern Peewees were sunning
themselves on snags, allowing nice views of this bird that is much more
often heard than seen.

We cut the walk short at 10:00, as a thunderstorm approached from the south.
We all marveled at a big waterspout that appeared out over the lake just
east of the park.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee