[wisb] Lake Onalaska waterfowling

  • From: "Tom Schaefer" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:57:26 -0600

Don't worry about duck numbers- my group certainly didn't put a dent in the
population!  While we did harvest a few, the other "things" occurring in and
around Pool 7 were just as gratifying.

Friday morning I saw possibly more ducks than ever before.  As soon as light
allowed visibility I started scanning.  Overhead (half mile) was a CONSTANT
stream of birds.  Skeins of 20, 50, several hundred streamed southward on NW
winds.  Most were divers, with many, many canvasback and goldeneyes.  And to
think how little my wedge of sky was.  This lasted until about 8:15 and then
nothing- just quit.

Other notables.  Heard and saw tons of pileated woodpeckers.  But the real
kicker was the number of bald eagles.  Ten to 15 in the air at all times.
There is no doubt good feeding nearby.  Also tundra swans, but not the
numbers I am used to- weather dependent, and one flock of 200 or so white
pelicans.  And ONE snow goose in with a flock of Canadas.  Both tree and
barn swallow and lots of bluebirds, thanks to the Brice Prairie Conservation
members.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County