[wisb] Lake Farm Park (Dane Co.) this a.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:34:08 -0500

I birded Lake Farm, along with Bob Bucci and Daryl Schiefman (apologies for the
probable misspelling) from about 7:00-11:30 this morning.  We had great looks
at the Harris's Sparrow, out near the last picnic area with the old-fashioned
pump.  I first saw it down in the brush from the bench that overlooks the lake
there, and we later all saw it sitting on a branch farther north on the path
that curves downhill near the lake.  Other highlights were 15 warbler species,
including single Magnolia, Cape May, Black & White, Nashville and Wilson's,
plus five Blackpoll, two or three each Black-throated Green and Golden-wings,
and a bunch of very vocal Tennessees and No. Waterthrushes.  Only thrushes
besides Robins were a couple of Swainson's.

While we didn't see or hear any Scarlet Tanagers there today, I saw an
orange-variant male along the lakeshore path this past Wednesday evening - the
second one I've ever seen.  Very striking bird.  Also had a couple of Veeries
that evening.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.