[wisb] Kewaunee and Manitowoc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:37:15 -0600

At the Kewaunee harbor this morning was a Killdeer on the algae mat
plus an adult Great Black-backed and immature Thayer's Gull.  Three
Dc Cormorants were also present.
Point Beach SF had 100+ Greater Scaup, 1 Lesser Scaup, 2 Red-throated
and 1 Common Loons, an adult Glaucous Gull on way out on the lake
2500-3000 Long-tailed Ducks.

By the park in Two Rivers things were fairly quiet, until two huge
flocks of Long-tailed Ducks took flight out on the lake.  The horizon
for a period of time was black with them.  Between 7-8,000 were
circling around.  This is the first large concentration of Long-
taileds that I have seen in this area in quite some time.  The
remainder of Two Rivers and Manitowoc was quiet.

In my yard I still have 2 Fox and 2 White-throated Sparrows.  My
first Purple Finch and Pine Siskin joined the Goldfinches and House
Finches yesterday.  There is a nice flock of Robins and especially
Cedar Waxwings working the general area.  One wonders how long the
berries will hold out.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI