[wisb] Kettle Moraine South, Yesterday

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisb <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:31:26 -0500

Sorry for the late report, my internet has been out for a couple days.
Yesterday morning I spent in the Kettle Moraine South Unit.

Despite oversleeping by 40 minutes, I got to the Mackie Picnic area
right at 5 AM. As hoped I immediately heard an Eastern Whip-poor-will
and managed to approach close enough to get a decent recording.
You can listen to it in either of these places if you are interested:

Also had Great Horned Owl at this location.

Driving south from here I saw an adult Bald Eagle flying toward Ottawa Lake.

Not much at Young Prairie SNA, except finding that the large dead tree
that has been home to Red-headed Woodpeckers for the last couple of
summers has been chopped down.

On the John Muir trail system I found singing Hooded Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warblers, Pine Warblers, Pileated Woodpecker,
Red-shouldered Hawk, and Pine Siskins.

Todd Wilson
Milwaukee County