[wisb] Jefferson marsh, etc

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:30:06 -0600

 Nolan Pope and I got out for a little bit, this afternoon. Checked tamaracks
on Missouri Road, near Goose Lake WA. Nothing. Tried the area along Cty A,
south of Lake Mills. Nothing at all. Got to Jefferson Marsh and could see a few
sparrows (song and tree) and a red-tail. Things were looking up. We walked out
the path, Nolan spotted a medium bird far off. Turned out to be a female
red-wing. Then there was a kestrel, on a tree top. Then a light rough-legged
hawk. We spotted a small group of White-winged Crossbills, in the tamaracks.
Walking back another Song and few more Tree Sparrows. A Cooper's Hawk was seen
soaring in the distance.
 We stopped at the Johnson Creek Landfill. Only 30 Herring Gulls circling high.
 Drove down Prairie Lane at Fayville. 40 longspurs flew off the road, but were
very flighty. A few Horned Larks were around. All that good food, but no
finches. Some Tree Sparrows along the back ditch. At the end ,there was a
shrike. Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.