[wisb] Jefferson Co. Gulls and Waterfowl (not as exciting as debating House Finches)

  • From: "Cynthia Bridge" <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:27:20 -0600

This afternoon I birded some local nearby haunts in Jefferson Co... Gull
numbers were decent east of the Johnson Creek dump in a field along Schweppe
Ln. (intersects with CR X, north of I94). I often see gulls gather in this
particular field on my commute. I finally got around to checking this spot.
Among the 430 Herring Gulls and 30 Ring-bills, I waited for a GLAUCOUS and
LESSER BLACK-BACKED gull to eventually fly into the puddle fest after
feasting at the dump.

Along Blackhawk Island Rd., Mud Lake harbored impressive numbers of N.
PINTAIL, COMMON GOLDENEYE and RING-NECKED DUCK. Lake Koshgonong at the end
of Blackhawk Island Rd. is gradually thawing and had a few more waterfowl
including COMMON MERGANSERS and LESSER SCAUP.

Along North Shore Rd. (north of Lake Koshkonong) I found IMPRESSIVE numbers
of geese: CANADAS 900+ and GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE (128+, I was at 78
counting in the field when all the birds took flight and another 50+ flew
over from the north).

Bird on! Looking forward to more spring and more birds.

Cynthia Bridge
Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co.