[wisb] Re: "Indoor" birds

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:52:07 -0800 (PST)

I once went away at Christmas for a few days during a bitter cold snap. As I
pulled out of the driveway I noticed some starlings crowded around the edge of
the chimney, keeping warm from the air coming out of the chimney. Didn't think
anything about it at the time.

When I got home I found my house filled with several dozen starlings!
Apparently they had been "pushed" into the chimney by other starlings crowding
in to get closer to the warmth. They somehow managed to get through the furnace
and into the basement, and then came up the basement stairwell into the house.
They succeeded in knocking down my Christmas tree, tearing open a couple of
loaves of bread on the counter, breaking into other foodstuffs, and pooping all
over the place!

Needless to say, this was not what I needed to encounter when I came home
filled with Christmas cheer. :-)

Bernie Sloan