[wisb] Inca, Flycatcher,Phalarope - Yes

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 05:40:11 +0000

Left Hillsboro at 7 AM with my sister Stacey with the hopes of seeing one,
maybe two new state lifers.  I ended up with four.

We arrived at Wind Point Lighthouse in Racine and worked our way south from the
lighthouse.  Thanks to fellow birders Jack and Brian we located the Red
Phalarope in a little cove south the the golf course parking lot.  We all
hunkered down behind some boulders and the Phalarope was kind enough to float
right past us and provided us with some excellent looks.   I was also able to
get several nice photos.   For a little added excitement, I thought I lost my
keys on the rocky shoreline on the walk over.  It turns out that I had hidden
them in the back seat of my car.

We headed on up to Concordia and found a group of birders watching the Inca
dove perched on top of a rock pile north of the building.   Again Jack and
Brian had the bird for us.  Thanks guys!  I was able to get some ok pictures.
Also got my first state Mute Swans (I don't get to over to the lake very often).

On our way up to find the ST Flycatcher, we made a stop at Kohler Andrae State
Park where the Says Phoebe had been seen earlier in the week and had a look
around.  No luck there.  We continued up to look for the Scissor Tailed
Flycatcher and had about 20 minutes of sunlight to enjoy the bird hanging out
west of the road on the same small buildings reported previously.  We never saw
it land on the tiny red shed.  Instead it was hawking from the old light post
on the side of the barn and from the rusty air vent.  It was a bit difficult to
see it well because it was backlit but we were able to see all the diagnostic
marks.  As the sun was setting, I was able to get some nice backlit sillouete
shots of the bird showing the long outer tail feathers.   What a great day of
birding!!

Kelly Rueckheim - Hillsboro, Vernon  County####################