[wisb] Important update on the Osh. RNDucks

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:48:42 -0800 (PST)

    Hi everyone --
       Stopped at the Senior's Center for a check on the birdlife again on this
chilly morning.
   There actually was a bald eagle there this time, but all other activity was
as is.  Everything was still there, but this time a pair of Hooded Mergansers
were there, too, and so were the ring-necks.  NOW,  what a difference lighting
can be. Yesterday I viewed the ducks in cloudy/snowy conditions, but, today the
sun was shining on this ringneck in question.  Turns out this bird is an
INCOMPLETE hybrid.  Yesterday all I could see was a dark flank patch, today I
saw a dark wing with a GRAY SPECULUM !!!   Seems our bird here had a bit of
......what in him, just not on the left side.  Weird looking character.
     Stopped at the Menominee Park beach front this a.m. too,  some open water
included mallards, geese and one lone Lesser scaup, to my surprise. No odd
gulls yet.......soon.
   All for now.   Paul Bruce
    Winnebago Co.