[wisb] Re: Illinois bird and WI question

  • From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
  • To: flores.david84@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:27:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hello David,
I am the Manager of the WI Humane Society Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in
 Milwaukee.  I have seen many Canada geese come into our facility over the
years with a deformity of the wrists called "angel wing."  This is caused
by a nutritional imbalance when the goslings are growing their primaries.
Too-rapid growth, caused by excessive protein and/or carbohydrate, cause the
 primaries to grow too fast.  Suboptimal levels of Vitamin D3 may also
play a role.  The weight of the primaries pulls the outerwing downwards and
outwards.  If not corrected, this malposition of the wing will become
permanent and the bird will never fly.  If we can get them into rehab  before
the
deformity becomes permanent, we can apply a special splint to the  affected
wing(s) for about a week and that will correct the problem.

We can't say for sure that the problem is caused by supplemental feedings
by humans, or if it is, what quantity of feed, type of feed, or frequency of
 supplemental feedings it would take to cause a problem for any particular
bird.  However, we have seen it also in captive-raised mallards and Canada
geese, and in these situations the problem is caused, at least in large
part, by  excessive protein in the diet.

Regards,

Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co.

In a message dated 3/20/2011 12:04:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
flores.david84@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi all,
I had heard of a cinnamon teal in Chicago's  North Pond, so I took my 3
girls down to look for it on Saturday. We  quickly found it. It gave very good
close views. My girls were very excited to  see this beautiful and colorful
bird. There was also a children's nature  museum on the same pond, which
added an added bonus for the girls.
My  question is about feeding the ducks. I understand the problems that
feeding any wild animal can cause, but I have heard that bread causes
deformities in ducklings. Does any one know if this is true, or is it just a
misconception that I have passed on to my kids. It is nice to see how
concerned
they are for the health of the ducks and geese, when others are  feeding
them bread.
I did take a few photos of the c.teal, if you'd  like to take a look at the
latest entry on my life bird  list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/floresdavid/sets/72157626182768273/
David  Flores
S.Milwaukee, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes,  use the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.