[wisb] ID help warbler

  • From: Rowan stamm <rowan.stamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 12:29:42 -0600

This morning I went for a walk through the woods surrounding my house.
There aren't to many birds that aren't on our feeders so I didn't bring my
binoculars. I got to a small clearing with pine trees surrounding it when I
noticed a warbler around 4 inches tall it had two long black faint streaks
the flanks it had a creamy or slightly yellow chin, a yellow stripe above
the eye, two yellow bars on the wings, the wings were a creamy brown and it
had two white spots on the tips of the tail. There were many frozen berries
on vines that it was feeding on. I sat in the middle of those berries and
it ended up landing close to me. It was making a metalic chip or chup note.
It also had a thin forked tail much like a goldfinch or a pine siskin. The
closest thing I found to it was a prairie warbler or northern parula but
the parula is lacking streaks. If anyone has any ideas what it is I would
greatly appreciate hearing them. There may have been more I was hearing
more chip calls. Thank you.
Rowan Stamm Dane Co.