[wisb] ID help - distant sighting / and Trempealeau Co

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

No suggestions for the ID, only to relate an antidote on nesting Mississippi
Kites in the Rockford Ill area.  We were doing a BBS route in Buffalo Co on
this tuesday and birding at Trempealeau WLR and region on Tuesday and Weds.  We
ran into 2 bicycle riders biking from Rockford to Rochester Mn and they said
there were nesting Mississippi Kites in an aborortum in Rockford Ill area this
year.

So Mississippi Kites could be nearby. I believe that Quentin Y saw one last
spring down in Green or Rock Co.

OH - birds in Trempealeau area include :

Bells Vireo
Alder Flycatcher - both in Tamarack Bog area

Bobolink
Dicksissell - Pine Creek Ridge road to the east of Tamarack Bog

at Trempealeau WLR - by bicycle - great way to get around there

Trumpeter Swan - Delta Point (long jaunt but a short one by bike)
Comorants
Black Terns
Forester's Tern
White Pelican's - 65
Great Egrets -  lots
Green Heron
Common Moorhen - by observation deck
Clay-colored  Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow - lots
Henslow's Sparrow - 9
Orchard Oriole
Yellow-headed Blackbird - Lower diversion Dike on east edge of preserve ( not
far
                                                                on a bicycle -
otherwise a long hike)

John Romano