[wisb] Hustisford below dam-habitat gone

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:42:11 -0500

As the warbler invasion draws nearer had to report this. Below the dam in
Husty has been one of my favorite local birding spots, especially during
spring migration. Last year I had my first double digit warbler day there,
16 different species. Well to make a long story short the habitat and cover
is pretty much all gone. There was lots of brush, trees and even down trees
in this area, along with a small brush and tree covered island. They ripped
out pretty much everything, even the entire island! The shorelines are now
covered in riprap. I guess the purpose was to help prevent flooding. Very
little there to draw migrants. Not ranting, just sad to see this little
spot a couple miles from home "cleaned up" like this. I have seen swallows,
swifts, vireos, thrushes, waxwings, kingfishers, herons, goldeneye, spotted
sandpipers, lincoln sparrow, gnatcatchers and even a scarlet tanager there
in addition to all the warblers. There are some trees and brush on the
other side of the river so might still see some interesting stuff, at
longer range. I will check it occassionally over the next weeks to see what
might show up.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI