[wisb] Hustisford area gray-cheeked thrush

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:23:08 -0500

After getting 3 life birds at WI Point on Monday, parasitic jaeger and
black and surf scoters, my week is continuing pretty well. This afternoon I
had a good look at another lifer, gray-cheeked thrush. As I was slowly
walking my woods a bird flushed and flew a very short distance and stayed
in the thick underbrush. I immediately froze suspecting a thrush. Very
luckily the bird also froze momentarily with a small shaft of bright
sunlight shining through the understory directly on it's head. It wasn't
too far away and head was turned just right for me to plainly see the gray
cheek and lack of prominent eyering. I feel very lucky to have gotten a
definitive look at this skulker of the underbrush.

Dave Schrab

Dodge Co WI