[wisb] Re: Hummer sleeping upside down

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jacamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jacamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Wisbirdn' <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:00:03 +0000

I've never seen a living bird do this.  However I have seen a female
sharp-shinned hawk, an immature Red-shouldered and a Barred Owl; all of which
succumbed  to a very cold winter , apparently without enough to eat.  They were
hanging upside down in trees.  When they sleep they lock their toes to the
branch.  Was very hard to free the above mentioned dead birds.

Tom Erdman, Green Bay