[wisb] Hudsonian Godwit, Turnstones, Black-bellied Plovers, Trumpter Swan, Mother's Day

  • From: "Carl Schwartz" <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:49:41 -0500

I promised my mother (the backyard birder who got me started) breakfast and
birding if she came up to Wisconsin during May. So off we set this morning from
Fox Point headed for Horicon. She's 86, and it was very windy, so I was hoping
to do most of our birding by car and I hoped to concentrate on things that
would sit still long enough to get a good look through our bins or my scope.
These were some of the highlights among the 80 species we had real good looks
at for the day:
1. A flock of very cooperative Whgite pelicans along Main Dike Rd.
2. Four Black-bellied Plovers and two Ruddy Turnstones among a lot of
Yellowlegs and Dunlin in the same area.
3. A Scarlet Tanager that posed for us within 100 feet for 10 minutes.
4. A Trumpeter Swan on the north side of Hwy 49 west of the Monument.
5. Yellow-headed Blackbirds
6. Dozens of Black Terns
7. A Hudsonian Godwit and Great Egret at Redwood and Jersey Rds.
8. Another BB plover on the north side of Breezy Point Rd.
9. 6 SB Dowitchers and a Wilson's Phalarope in the "farm pond" east of Jersey
and north of A

A very nice for us both

Carl Schwartz
Fox Point
Milwaukee County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.