[wisb] Horicon today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 21:25:41 -0500

I stopped briefly along Hwy 49 at Horicon Marsh early this afternoon.  There
were several dozen Great Egrets still present on the Fond du Lac County side,
down towards the west end.  The impoundment on the south side east of the
pumphouse had many fewer shorebirds than I had hoped, and the light was
terrible, but I could pick out a few common species.  There were several
Chicago Ornithological Soc. members there on a field trip - they'd had a flock
of Cackling Geese and a couple of Ross's Geese earlier in the day.

Late this afternoon, I checked 49 again.  More shorebirds, fewer egrets (and
much better light.) On the Dodge Co. side, there were several dozen
Black-bellied Plovers, Pectoral, Least, Stilt, & Baird's SPs, many Greater and
Lesser YLs,  a Semi-palm Plover, and several hump-backed Long-billed
Dowitchers.  (This has been mentioned before, but it's a good reminder for
less-experienced birders.  Long-billed Dowitchers, in addition to being
slightly larger on average than Short-billed, tend to look quite hump-backed,
even when not hunched over while feeding. Short-billed may look hunch-backed
while feeding, but tend to look much sleeker when relaxed.  Bill length is
actually not that reliable an indicator, as there is some sexual dimorphism
with that, as well as age differences which can affect relative bill length.
While there are some plumage differences, it's seldom that the birds are close
enough or in good enough lighting to discern those.)

 I also stopped to check the many fewer remaining egrets on the Fond du Lac Co.
side farther west (none unusual.)  There were actually quite a few shorebirds
out on the little mudflats there, mostly Lesser Yellowlegs.

Coming back to Madison on Hwy 151, I noticed hundreds of gulls, mostly
Ring-billed, meandering around in extremely diffuse "flocks" between Waupun and
Beaver Dam, generally heading westward,  presumably heading for Beaver Dam/Fox
Lakes for the night.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI