[wisb] Horicon shorebirds yesterday, 11/7

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:31:47 -0600

I spent a couple of hours scoping along Highway 49 at Horicon yesterday
afternoon, hoping to locate the Hudsonian Godwit.  I did not see that, but I
did see several Greater Yellowlegs and Black-Bellied Plovers, a Dunlin, a
Snipe, a Semipalmated Plover, and a Buff-Breasted Sandpiper.  The last was
quite a surprise, and when I realized how late a report on it would be, I
sought other possibilities.  I considered juvenile Ruff, but research online
showed that a Ruff would have been more robust and have a different shaped
head than this bird.  Also, I had one short look at it flying low, and the
upperparts were plain and dark, including the rump, tail, and wings, also
ruling out Ruff.  I have submitted a report to the WSO.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee