[wisb] Horicon 10/15

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 11:31:00 -0500

Went up to Horicon to see if he high winds swept anything interesting in.
It was more a question of what got swept out, however.  I didn't see a
single heron, egret, cormorant, pied-billed grebe, or pelican, when just a
week ago I had them in the dozens.  I did find a pair of Trumpeter Swans in
the last pond on the auto loop.

Shorebird activity on 49 is still impressive.  By the pumphouse I ran into a
group of birders with Dar Tiede, and we identified Black-Bellied Plovers, a
couple of American Golden Plovers, White-Rumped Sandpipers, a Sanderling,
and an Upland Sandpiper.  I didn't see them, but someone called out that
Dowitchers were flying overhead at one point.  Further west on 49, I spotted
good numbers of Greater Yellowlegs and a couple of Snipe.  The brisk wind
shook optics and chilled hands, but it was a beautiful morning to be out
nonetheless.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee