[wisb] Hawk Owl and Pine Grosbeaks/Door County

  • From: Curt & Jeanne Heuer <heuers3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:56:27 -0600

Our son is home for the holidays so we asked him he wanted to try for the hawk
owl that has been seen in Door County. We were hoping for the crossbills as
well. Around 11:30 we drove up and down and around Hwy Q and 57 but no luck.
Decided to have lunch at the Door County Bakery where we noticed a woman we had
passed once or twice while we drove around. After lunch we tried again only to
notice the woman from the restaurant set up just a short way west of 57 on Q.
The hawk owl was sitting at the top of a deciduous tree to the south. She was a
birder who decided to do the same as us, take a break for lunch and then try
again. While we were there the owl flew to the top of a fir which was closer in
to our viewing area. We did not see crossbills. She reported seeing crossbills
in Bailey's Harbor just in town as she drove through on 57. We had no luck with
crossbills there either but saw a flock of about 12-15 pine grosbeaks in the
trees behind the fire station.

On another note we had two male cowbirds, two female redwing blackbirds and a
pileated woodpecker at our yard feeders today.  The first two are unusual for
the time of year and we never have had a pileated woodpecker.

Jeanne & Curt Heuer
Brown County