[wisb] Harrington Beach SP, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:50:56 -0500

I started the morning at Harrington Beach SP, after a brief stop at
Theresa Marsh (standard waterfowl here).  From the end of Cty D
things were fairly active for the first 15-20 minutes and then they
quieted down considerably.  During the first half hour I had 14
Common Loons, 9 Surf and 3 White-winged Scoters plus the usual diving
ducks migrating by.  From the point in the park there was a nice
group of Horned Grebes plus about 30 Bonaparte's Gulls that were
heading south.  Curiously no loons were seen after my first 20-25
minutes at the park (north end).
Kohler/Andrae SP had another equal sized group of Bonnie's migrating
south, plus 6 Surf and 3 Black Scoters.  Two Barn Swallows flew by.

Sheboygan continued as it has been, unbelievably quiet, except for
two southward bound Merlins.

The Cleveland/Fischer Creek Park area was likewise very quiet,
although here it was because there were way too many duck hunters on
the lake.  They outnumbered the birds, literally.

And last, "my" Harris's Sparrow continues at my feeders.  It is now 8
days and counting.  The only difference is that it is coming less
frequently to the feeders.  Sometimes there is a 2+ hour break
between appearances.  This may be due to the milder weather of the
preceding days, but I have an immature female Cooper's Hawk that is
showing up with more frequency, unfortunately.  It may also be a factor.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI