[wisb] Harrier at Bender - Milw Co

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:40:48 EST

In preparation for this Saturday's Hales Corners  CBC, and for the second
day in a row, I observed a juvenile northern harrier at  the Bender Park
prairie in SE Milw. Co.  Yesterday, while walking, I was  allowed excellent
looks at a Kestrel carrying a vole just fifteen feet or so  away at its closest
point.  I followed the kestrel with bins and was  surprised to see a raptor
lift off from atop the bluff above me, and give chase.  It was a juvenile
harrier, and though they disappeared beyond the bluff, it did  appear that the
harrier was gaining on the kestrel.

I returned to  Bender this evening to see if there are any short eared owls
this year, only to  be greeted by the constant calls of a harrier.  A first
for me to hear  one.  I watched as a juvenile harrier called and repeatedly
flew circles  around a large deciduous tree on a hedgerow in the prairie.
Another raptor  was calling from atop this tree, and though I could not
identify it, I figured  it was the cause of the flying harrier's activity.
Turns out that the  object of both the circling and the second raptor's calling
was a great horned  owl, very well camouflaged and lower in the tree.

Betsy Abert, SE Milw  Co.