[wisb] Greetings from Door County

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:55:28 -0600

Andrea and I stationed in Ephraim doing some New Years birding.  Things got off
to a rousing start when 60 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS were seen just south of
Sturgeon Bay.  Soon after 24 PINE GROSBEAKS - ALL female, were observed.  Those
proved to be the first of several groups seen for the day.  Driving down Canal
Road to its terminus near the Coast Guard Station some Common Goldeneyes were
seen including a HYBRID COMMON GOLDENEYE X HOODED MERGANSER!  Unfortunately, no
photos were taken as birds flushed quickly.  A single RED CROSSBILL was a
flyover near here as well.  We then ran up to the Hawk Owl spot where many
birders were searching.  No luck, but a VERY cooperative ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was
hunting right off highway Q (perhaps the reason the Hawk Owl was a no show?).
Then it was time to hit the bank in Sister Bay.  Unbelievable - to put it
mildly!  BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS numbered better than 250 with outstanding views.
Also seen here were our only male PINE GROSBEAK and COMMON REDPOLL.  Andrea
made a game of it by trying to find a Cedar Waxwing - she managed ONE!

Tomorrows travels TBD!

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################