[wisb] Great Texas Birding

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 07:38:06 -0500

Just arrived back to Green Bay from the maiden voyage of our new RV; everything
went
well and we had 232 species of birds for the trip.  Traveled south along the
gulf
coast of Texas through Bolivar Flats, Galveston, Mustang Island, into Brazos
Bend SP,
Goose Island SP seeing herons, egrets, ibis, oyster catchers, shorebirds, gulls
&
terns. Spent 2 days on S. Padre Island enjoying the Birding Center (definitely
worth
the stop with Rosette Spoonbills, Avocets, Black-necked Stilts, lots of egrets
and
ducks.)  Drove northwest along the Rio Grande with stops at Santa Ana  &
Bentsen SP,
and enjoyed birding with the Sykes, especially Elf Owl watching with them and
Jerry &
Karen Smith.  One great day of hawk migration.  Also an evening of Green
Parakeet
gathering in McAllen.
Drove to Falcon SP for desert birds (and very hot weather) where we had
excellent
views of Groove-billed Ani, there were 7 or 8, they like hiding in the mesquite.
Headed north to the "hill country" and found both the Golden-cheeked Warbler
and the
Black-capped Vireo (Kerr Management Area).

Certainly enjoyed all the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers for the whole trip (one of
God's
fantastic creations), they seemed to be everywhere. This was our 4th Texas
birding
trip, we added 14 bringing us to 324 for the state.

Ty & Ida Baumann

Green Bay, WI