[wisb] Grasshopper Sparrow, southern North Shore of Lake Superior

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 20:28:54 -0600

Earlier this week, I posted on the MOU and MNbirds listserves about a
gorgeous little Grasshopper Sparrow that I found and photographed just a
little up the North Shore from Duluth (observed and photographed during the
mornings of Nov 30th and Dec 1st). The bird was observed/photographed among
dried grasses and among the lower branches of Balsam Fir trees. The bird
was observed no more than 15 minutes outside of the Duluth area, so quite
close to the "Twin Ports."  I wanted to let you know about this
should-be-well-south bird sighting. It sounds like the rare birds are still
moving through! I have yet to see a Purple Sandpiper; that little shorebird
is one of my "dream" birds :-)
Below are my photos of the Grasshopper Sparrow. Enjoy!

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/late_fall_grasshopper_sparrow

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr