[wisb] Gnats & Bonaparte Gulls

  • From: "Sue Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:29:14 -0500

Last night, 7PM, we took our scope to the Anderson Dock, Ephraim, because a
large gathering of birds were spotted there. They turned out to be Bonaparte's
Gulls, over 200 of them. They were in a long line through the harbor, mostly on
the surface of the water, eating insects-gnats?-at a rapacious speed. Many
Gnats were on the surface of the water and in the air.
This may be the first time I've seen Bonaparte's in the Ephraim harbor. A few
of the Gulls had the 'winter' head of a Bonaparte....white with a black patch
on the side of the head. I'm assuming they are late (Spring) bloomers.
Sue Peterson
Door County