[wisb] GH Owl in the Corn Crib

  • From: "RUECKHEIM KELLY" <RUECKEL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:24:49 -0500

On Monday morning the neighbor stopped by to tell me that she had a Great
Horned Owl in her corn crib and that it had killed one of her chickens.  We
went over to take a look and it was gone.  She had left the side door open and
it had flew off.  Yesterday morning, it was back again and it had killed her
rooster.  We went over again and it was still in the corn crib.  We opened the
side door and it hopped out, stood on the ground for about twenty seconds, and
flew off towards the forest.   The most interesting part of the whole event was
how the owl got into the corn crib.  There is a hole at the top that is barely
big enough for a GH owl to fit through.  I'm sure it would have been a sight to
see the owl tucking in its wings in order to "squeeze" through the hole.  The
hole has been sealed and the remaining four chickens were safe and secure this
morning.

Kelly Rueckheim, Ontario, Vernon County