[wisb] GBb Gull, notes from Oshkosh

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:46:49 -0700 (PDT)

    Hey --  Just wanted to drop an afternoon note off saying while
doing some yardwork today I was watching the skies.  Nothing of
migratory status, but one of the gulls flying around happened to be a
2nd yr. GREAT-BLACK BACK.  Wings were totally dark at the
primaries, and size was much larger than some nearby Ringbills.
     I unfortunately had to walk home last night, but had an interesting turnout
for night sounds.  Had a 6 species hike.  Chipping sparrows, white-throated,
mallard, geese, robin and the best and last one, a sora.
   I failed to mention a sight from Menominee Beach 2 days ago, where I had
about 200 Bonaparte's gull floating on the lake about 300 yds. out.
  For now,  Paul Bruce
                  Winnebago Co.