[wisb] Forest County Warblers

  • From: timarytm@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 06:07:46 -0700 (PDT)

We encountered the largest amount of fall warblers we had ever seen yesterday
(Sunday) at our lake cottage near Wabeno in Forest County. We checked our
hotspots early in the morning and found good amounts of warblers: Magnolia,
Black-throated Greens, Nashvilles, Tennesees, Mourning, Chestnut-sided,
Blackburnian. The weather was misty, cloudy and cold. At 11:30 when I walked
down to the lake, there was a large flock of Golden-winged, Nashvilles and
Black-throated Greens right around our dock! After lunch, when I went to empty
the compost, I came face to face with more Nashvilles, American Redstarts, and
Black-throated Greens foraging lower in the understory. Several Nashvilles and
Black-throated Greens hung out around the feeders with the Black-capped
Chickadees for the rest of the afternoon. An hour later a new flock came
through the yard, staying mostly in the treetops. This was definitely the most
yard warblers and I added three new species to my yard
 birds.  I also tried short walks down the road and encountered a flock in each
direction within .5 mile of our driveway. I added more Blackpolls and another
Magnolia to the list but the majority of birds that I managed to identify
seemed to be Nashvilles and Black-throated Greens, along with a lesser amount
of Tennesees. Of course, I saw many many Red-eyed Vireos in the flocks. Is
there information anywhere on the time progression of warbler species migration
or if certain warbler species seem to flock together?
Warblerific!

Mary Maertz
Forest County