[wisb] Flycatcher ID

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:57:52 -0500

Hello,

I was just watching a flycatcher for about 10 minutes as it sat on a
tree branch about 30 feet away.  I'm having some trouble with ID.  It
sat with its back to me and would turn sideways when it cleaned its
wings.  It was dark gray, light black.  It had white spots or patches
on its lower back, left and right side, with a dark dividing line.  It
had dark sides but had a whitish throat and stomach, the darker
coloration did not extend across the throat.  Its tail was notched.
All of those things, plus its size, led me to believe that I had an
Olive-sided flycatcher.  But the one thing that throws me off is that
it had two wing bars, which I don't see in any of my field guides.

The bird was by itself, so my sizing could be off.  Would a Pewee
(maybe juvenile) have white patches on its lower back like that?  The
patches were quite distinct, which made me immediately think of Olive-
sided.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.  Sorry, I don't have any
pictures - one of these days I'll get a camera and have it handy!

Thanks,

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County