[wisb] Re: Field trip verbs

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alschirmacher@xxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:22:29 -0500

Yikes, I haven't tuned into wisbirdn for a while!  But just moments ago, I
did ... and I must say that I'm fascinated by Al's "Field trip verbs" post.

My contribution will have precious little to do with the debate about ID
certitude (seeing vs. hearing).  Instead, I'd simply like to point out how
enjoyable birding by ear has become for me.

First, in my 46 years of birding I've come to enjoy birding even more by
learning the songs of birds.  Why?  Many such songs are stunningly beautiful
(e.g., the thrushes, a Winter Wren, etc.).  Songs and calls also alert one
to the presence of birds hidden from sight, and thus birds one might
otherwise overlook.  Furthermore, songs and calls often (though not
unfailingly!) help us ID birds - and there have been many times when I've
had a much better listen than look.

But my primary point for now concerns an interesting phenomenon in my own
experience, as it relates to my personal joy of birding.  Whereas my sight
has gone downhill in recent years, my hearing has not so suffered (yet).  I
now strain, sometimes mightily, to locate birds against the backdrop of
foliage (e.g., warblers in trees).  When I see birds, they don't have the
clarity they once did - even with good optics.  Distant birds are nearly
impossible.

I realize that hearing loss often accompanies aging.  I've also heard (!)
that many birders lose the high frequencies first.  (I had a birder uncle
who was very discouraged when he couldn't hear Indigo Buntings vocalizing
right in front of him; to the contrary, if anything causes me problems it's
picking up the lower notes of a Ruffed Gouse drumming or a Great Horned Owl
"hoo-hooing." )

But, so far, with fingers crossed, I keep on hearing the birds, and I keep
on enjoying what I hear.  That will all change in a month or so of course,
when bird song wanes once again.  But that's a seasonal thing ... and I'll
enjoy the music while it lasts.

Good birding to all - by eye or by ear!

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI