[wisb] Re: FW: eBird Report - Estabrook Park, Milwaukee Co., Sat, Apr 14, 2012

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 19:42:47 -0500

Chuck's reported Wood Thrush appears to precede the previous earliest spring
record of April 16th by two days!

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.

Subject: eBird Report - Estabrook Park, Apr 14, 2012

Estabrook Park, Milwaukee, US-WI
Apr 14, 2012 7:25 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
35 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  18
Mallard  12
Cooper's Hawk  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Herring Gull  5
gull sp.  9
Rock Pigeon  3
Mourning Dove  3
Great Horned Owl  2     Observed at nest with at least one owlet.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  7
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  3
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  23
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  8
Hermit Thrush  4
Wood Thrush  1     I was watching a pair of Hermit Thrushes flying low and
perching ahead of me on the trail just west of the Dog Exercise Area when I
first spotted the bird, perched, facing me, about 30 feet away. It was
similar in size to, certainly no smaller than, a Hermit Thrush, but the top
of its head was bright reddish-brown, brighter and redder than a Hermit's
head, and its chest and undersides were pure snow-white. I immediately
noticed bold, black dots on the bird's chest, bigger and bolder than on the
nearby Hermit Thrushes. After the bird perched facing away from me, I saw
that the reddish-brown head color extended down its neck and back to the
tail. I looked for but observed no contrast between the color of the tail
and back. Observed through 7x42 binoculars.
American Robin  39
European Starling  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1