[wisb] FW: Peregrine MG&E Nest Box Has 3 Eggs

  • From: "Cutright.Noel" <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:17:10 -0500

The following is from Sumner Matteson - Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County

On Tuesday afternoon, MG&E Executive Director of Energy Production Steve
Schultz, Greg Septon, and WDNR's Sumner Matteson checked on the Madison
peregrine nest box and were delighted to find 3 eggs inside.  The male,
observed Tim Ellestad from the ground, had just arrived to relieve the
female of incubation duties when we climbed up to open the box from the
back.  Our visit only took a few minutes.  Both adults were present and
very vocal during our brief stay.  Steve and Greg took photos of the
3-egg clutch.

Expected hatch date: ~ 20 May.  Greg will hopefully band the chicks some
time between 8 - 18 June.  On a flat roof about 75 m below and northwest
of the box, prey remains (heads) of a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 2
flickers, and the wings of a Sora and flicker were found.  Also found
the wing of a Rock Dove (pigeon) inside the nest box.

It's great to have peregrines nesting in Madison again after more than
10 years, and this is another fine start to a promising chapter in the
bird's ongoing recovery.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.